Monday, March 31, 2008

Our 24 hours in Calgary

Ok, so it was a little more than 24 hours, but not much! We found out last Wednesday that Andrew (Peter's brother) would be in Calgary for a few days ... so we decided to drive down on the weekend to see him. We left Saturday morning, stopped in Edmonton to do some shopping and pick up some baby gifts that were waiting for us at Toys R Us and then continued to Calgary. Saturday night was dinner and a movie - and then on Sunday we went to the Calgary Zoo! It was fun, even though many of the animals were doing absolutely nothing but sleeping. I think the highlight for me was the baby elephant - very cute! Peter really liked watching one of the monkeys taunt and play with a young gorilla. As for Andrew ... well, I think his favorite part was all the slow walking thanks to me ; )




Trying to touch some stingrays ...


They tried to get me to do the exact same pose, but I refused .. there were already enough people watching!


It took us about 5 hours to get through the zoo and by the time we were done I was DONE! My feet were killing me, my back was aching, my right knee was sore .. the pregnancy sure caught up with me. I was impressed though that these ailments only started to bother me in the last hour or so - by the end I felt a little like this bear ...


It was also neat to see Calgary - its very weird to see cities out here that literally appear out of nowhere. There is farmland, farmland, farmland - houses! The suburbs seem to start in the middle of nowhere, we've noticed the same thing in Edmonton. And, we could see downtown Calgary from miles and miles away because its so flat. It was also my first time seeing the Rockies, which kind of nestle around the edge of the city. It was a very long 5.5 hour drive back to Cold Lake, but well worth it to spend some time with Andrew, who we hardly ever see. Calgary, of course has been having beautiful warm sunny weather ... but naturally the time we chose to go it was snowy and a tad chilly (but not too bad, only about -2).

Team PM & tadpole

No comments: