Sunday, March 4, 2007

Robin Hood's castle

I am back from my second England trip - Peter and I were commenting on how fast the time is going, he is already in his 3rd month of the course ... there is still 12 weeks before I will be heading over permanently, so hopefully those will go as fast as the last 2-ish months have gone!

The rest of my week, after Wales, was pretty relaxing which made it easy for me to get over my cold. On Wednesday Peter got off early and we headed on a short road trip to visit Old Wardour Castle, which, excitingly enough for me was used in filming Robin Hood: Prince of Theives with Kevin Costner. The drive to reach the castle was one of the nicest I've been on in England ... we drove through many tiny picturesque villages, I wanted to take a picture of everything! There were also a lot of really narrow country lanes, not as amusing as the pretty villages ... the castle was perched high on a hilltop above the very small and cute village of Anstey on one side, and the larger Tisbury on another side. It made us wonder how on earth the location for this castle was ever found, how its 14th century builders got the necessary supplies up there to build it, and how on earth they got their horses/wagons and what have you up those steep, muddy hills. It was hard enough in a car, and on roads ... though there is something to be said about the English version of 'roads' in some areas.

We knew the castle was closed that day because it is not tourist season yet so we weren't able to go inside. We did get some great views from the outside, as we wandered up a forested trail that lead us in behind the castle. It was pretty amazing, and I will definitely be venturing out that way again ...

Team PM

No comments: