Thursday, March 15, 2007

Pet Cargo

So today was a kind of momentous day ... I took Fletch to Petsmart to get his crate for his flight over to England. He did pretty well, although he did initially hesitate to go in, and when I tried to make him I got the old defiant eyes ... when he does that, I know not to force him .. so I lured him instead. The salesgirl and myself used his tennis ball (which we brought along), as well as a cookie, and a pigs' ear (his fave, but fattening treat) and he finally went in long enough for us to close the door. Once in, he was able to turn around with ease and didn't seem too much that he was in there. Air Canada is very specific about the size of the crate, they have to be able to turn around and lay down comfortably .. so while this crate looks soooo huge to me, it was the best choice for his comfort. Once home, I somehow managed to get it down to the basement, added a blanket and some toys and he seems to be getting a little more comfortable with it - it has only been an hour though : ) I am hoping that by the time we leave in May he will have used it to relax in a few times - its down near the tv so that is where we hang out. And, when he was a puppy he used to like to chill in his puppy crate sometimes .. so we'll see how it goes!

1 comment:

Gillian said...

Look at his smile... I think you've done a good thing... he might think of it as a cozy sleeping place an mind the flight much better as a result!

How exciting for you how things are coming together!!