Thursday, February 1, 2007

Stonehenge

Today I am at the Amesbury Library taking advantage of their free internet .. we have to yet to have ours connected at home....that's a story in and of itself. As I got online and went to check my email at yahoo.ca, I noticed that the front page story was about the unearthing of an ancient village near Stonehenge. How odd it is to me that as I read the article, and as I sit here in the library, Stonehenge lies about a 5 minute drive away from me ... and, I visited it just yesterday. I have gotten used to my house here in Amesbury, and my neighbourhood, and even driving on the very narrow roads ... but I have not gotten used to the fact that the grounds I live on, walk on and drive on, are so ancient and so many others have trod them before me. Stonehenge is considered to be about 5000 years old ... it is a world famous site, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and one of the 7 (or 8, or how ever many there are now) Wonders of the World. And I've seen it, I've stood in front of it, I've taken pictures of it .... and its only a 5 minute drive from my house. You take the A303 out of Amesbury toward the southwest .. as you come over the hill, you see the stones standing there right in front of you like a bunch of ancient road markers .... odd indeed ...

That's my deep thought for the day .. now I'll go back to my emails and internet celebrity gossip : )

Team PM

No comments: