Monday, November 26, 2007

The latest

I think I am getting worse at trying to create interesting titles for my blog posts ... I try really hard each time to think of something eye catching and relevant to the blog entry, but I'm starting to lose my touch!

This last week was very hectic for Peter ... but not so much for me and Andrea, my latest and definitely final visitor from home. She stopped in at our place for about 4 days in her month long journey around the UK. So, she arrived on Wednesday evening and I picked her up in Salisbury. On Thursday we spent the day visiting Stonehenge and the town of Avebury (both of which I've done before). We also visited West Kennet Long Barrow which I hadn't yet seen. It is an ancient burial mound ... quite interesting, though we did encounter an interesting assembly of people inside the barrow (3 in all) conducting/taking part in some sort of ceremony to someone ... we weren't sure what or who, and we didn't stick around long enough to find out!

On Friday Andrea went to Bath for the day, and I stayed home ... defintely have had enough of Bath. Saturday, we decided to visit the village of Chawton to see one of the homes that Jane Austen lived in. The town was exactly what you would envision if I said quaint, pituresque, small English town. Jane Austen spent the last 8 years of her life in this 17th century home, and was there right up until 2 months before her death, when she was sent to Winchester to receive better care from a doctor. It was in this house that she wrote Mansfield Park, Emma, and Persuasion. She also edited and revised Sense & Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice and Northanger Abbey in the house. Each room of the house was set up with various exhibits and displays relating to Austen's family and her life - Andrea & I both really enjoyed it. We took a short walk down the street out front of the house to see some of the other very old houses, one was dated 1550, complete with a thatched roof that looked like it too had been there since 1550! We ate lunch in 'Cassandra's cafe' (named after Jane's only sister) and then headed off to nearby Winchester. The plan was to visit Winchester Cathedral where Jane Austen is buried .. but we decided the admission was too expensive and instead took some pictures of the exterior and then walked around the town a little.




On Sunday we drove up to Bristol (where I would be parting ways with Andrea as she had a flight out of there on Monday). I wanted to visit the S.S. Great Britain, which was built in a dry dock in Bristol in 1843. It was the first ship to ever have an iron hull and a screw propellor, and at the time was the largest vessel afloat. It was a working ship for 90 years, and in 1970 it was towed back to Bristol and transformed into a museum. We were initially shocked that it cost 10.50 gbp to get in, but we soon learned that this was well worth it. There were 3 parts to the site: first you went down to the dry dock to check out the hull, the propellor and rudder ... then inside to a huge (and very impressive) exhibit about the ship and its work ... then out to the ship itself for a fun audio tour including very realistic props and displays depicting life on board the ship for passengers. It was a lot of fun!





After the many hours we spent with the S.S. Great Britain it was time for me to head home ... so we had a quick bite to eat and then I dropped Andrea off at her hostel. Meanwhile, back in Amesbury, Peter was working his tail off! He and his group worked every day all day and until about 10, 11 and beyond. On Sunday morning Peter went into work at 8:30 and did not return home until 10:30 this morning!! It was full 24 hours of work required to get their report done and edited ... he was very tired when he got home, but also a little hyper because this enormous weight was off his shoulders! He took a well deserved nap and then for once, in what feels like a long time, we spent the afternoon and evening together. This week will be fairly light for him; all they have to do now is prepare their presentation, and then give the presentation on December 6th - then he's done! Yay! It will be so nice for him to be finished so we can (sort of) resume our normal life, even though a lot is about to change! Speaking of change .... this morning I felt and saw the baby moving for the first time. It was amazing to see my tummy being thumped from inside - very exciting :)

Our next big plans are to visit Ireland the weekend after next, so we'll be sure to keep you posted.

Team PM & tadpole

1 comment:

Jocelyne Anne said...

isn't amazing when you feel that first move - even though it's been more than 20 years since I last felt that - sometimes when I close my eyes I can feel that joy pass through me.

sincere congratulations to Peter - was an amazing accomplishment - so happy for him that he is heading for finish line

love and prayers