Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Girls' visit

Well, as you know, I've been expecting and anticipating the visit of 4 of my Algonquin friends for months. The time finally came ... unfortunately the weekend at the Savoy got a little ruined, but just for me, because I was really sick. They had a good time and took lots of pictures - I was disappointed that I couldn't go, but don't think I would have had much fun anyway. But, following the weekend they came back to my place (I was feeling much better), and we started our week. The first day we headed to Bath, where I've been many times, but this time we did a Redbus tour which was something different. It was fun doing some of the same stuff again anyway - like the Roman Baths. AND, the weather was actually sunny - I don't think I've ever seen Bath in the sun!


On Wednesday we had a Salisbury day where we visited Mompesson House and tea room, and the girls did some shopping. Later in the afternoon we took the Salisbury Cathedral spire tour - this is something I've wanted to do for awhile ... it was insane! There were hundreds of steps to climb up - but that wasn't even the worst part. Plus, Malcolm, our tourguide had to be at least 75 years old, so we figured 'if he can do it, we should be able to'! The worst part were the teeny weeny, super narrow, steep and winding staircases leading up into the tower! I'm not usually afraid of heights, but this was almost too much, even for me. Our guide gave us lots of really interesting information and talked about how some of the trees used in the construction of the vaulted ceiling (which we saw from the opposite side) were 1000 years old! He also pointed out some of the medieval and later construction techniques that were used, such as wooden dowels rather than screws to hold the logs together. We got to go outside at the top of the tower and saw some fantastic views of Salisbury and the surrounding countryside.Very cool.


On Thursday we drove up toward Oxford to Blenheim Palace; this is the home, rather palace, that Winston Churchill was born in in 1874. We took in an exhibit on his life, and then took a tour of some parts of the home. It is still the official residence of the Duke of Marlborough, so people live there! Pretty amazing since it is said to be one of the finest palatial homes in Britain ... following the house tour we visited the expansive gardens. There were the pleasure gardens which included a maze, a butterfly house, a huge park for kids, mini putt etc. Also, the secret garden was a smaller garden featuring small streams, waterfalls, fountains and really pretty foliage. Apart from Melanie falling out of tree and scraping up her shoulder pretty bad, it was a good time - it was a very long day - we spent the WHOLE day there to get our 16.50 gbp worth, but lots of fun.



Friday morning we drove up to Old Wardour Castle where I sat and read while the girls took the audio tour (been there, done that) ... sadly, by the time we got back home I wasn't feeling well again :( We had to cancel our plans to visit Avebury and while I slept all afternoon the girls had a movie day and a UNO championship. On Saturday they trained into Cardiff, Wales and I took it easy - wish I could have gone though. Sunday was the day for Mel and Melissa to head home, and Jen and Giselle headed off on a backpacking adventure in Scotland.

So ... I sit here alone again! Peter is home tomorrow so its not been too bad - he's been away in Brauschweig (sp.?), Germany since last Sunday. We realized the other day on the phone that he only has 2 more trips until the end of the course! One short trip in October for a few days, which he says is a 'fun' trip, as opposed to a 'work' trip. Then, a long 2 week trip in November - that will be challenging for him and for me! But, after that he's pretty much done and by early December he'll be on a month long vacation before we return home to Canada - which in case I haven't mentioned before, I am starting to really look forward too (no offence England)! Also, the end of the girls week here also meant the end of visitors coming from home ... that just reminds me how fast the time is flying! So, as always, it was great to have the girls here and we had a lot of fun :)

Team PM

No comments: