Wednesday, September 5, 2007

My parents visit

My parents flew to England last Wednesday for a week long visit. On Thursday we went to Windsor Castle for the changing of the guard, and also to tour the main parts of the castle. We visited Bath on Friday, and for the first time in the many times I've been, it didn't rain! It was really busy though because it was the last week of school holidays, it took us quite awhile to get in and parked. Saturday was market day in Salisbury and then my mom and I went to the Cathedral and hit the shops in town (the boys went home and came back to meet us later). On Sunday they came to church with Peter and I; my Dad had been before so had met many of the people, but it was a first for my Mom. While at church, John, an older man who attends the church invited us to his home, Netherhampton House, for lunch on Monday. But first, Sunday afternoon we went to the New Forest for a picnic lunch - our lunch was interrupted by some wild pigs who were trying to check out our lunch! Peter had to chase them off with a stick! Finally they left, and we were able to eat in peace. Back to John - he is a retired antiques dealer who used to use Netherhampton House to display the antiques he sold. Since retiring many of the rooms are empty, but are filled with paintings that he does in his spare time. So, on Monday at noon we headed there for lunch; John showed us around the extensive gardens and property which included a magnolia tree and a fig tree. Lunch was really good - John has a cook who comes 3 times a week to prepare his food ... she was a good cook! We sat and talked for a long time after lunch, and then once we left I took my parents up to Old Wardour Castle. It was a really sunny day and nice for exploring the castle and grounds. On Tuesday we headed to Bournemouth for the day. It was really warm and sunny out and we sat on the pier and had tea ... walked down the beach a bit, and then had lunch and did some shopping. It was a nice week, and the weather was fairly warm to my Dad's great enjoyment, but Mom enjoyed the dip in temperature at night ;)




Peter left early Monday morning for Sweden and returns on Saturday. He's there to fly the Gripen, which he was pretty excited about. Next week, I have 4 friends arriving from Ottawa for 2 weeks - so that should be a fun time ... I'm sure I'll have lots of stories and pics to post!

Team PM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought you said it didn't rain, your Mom looks like she is wearing floods!! Is she trying to ride the horses or what!