Friday, May 16, 2008

The first two weeks...

Today Ainsley is two weeks old ... the time is already going by too fast! She is doing very well and adjusting to her new home life like a champ. Funny enough she isn't even phased when Fletch barks, I guess she's used to hearing that sound as well as our voices : ) She loves to eat and is gaining weight steadily, though she hasn't quite gotten back to her birthweight - she weighed in yesterday at 5 lbs., 15 ozs.; still very tiny but growing! She gains about an ounce a day which is what is recommended, so we're happy with that. And, the best part is, she loves to sleep! We actually wake her once at night to feed her! Many people have told us that this isn't necessary, including our doctor, but due to her small size we've decided that its something we want to do. We just have to keep reminding ourselves that we're her parents so we can decide .. that is still kind of weird to us though!


Ainsley loves to be cuddled and talked to, she is starting to really notice our faces and likes when we make exaggerated expressions while talking to her - her eyes open really wide in reaction, and a few times she's tried to reach up for my face. She's been on quite a few outings in her short life including a bonfire last Friday night, the grocery store/Wal Mart etc. a few times, and the Watoto Childrens Choir this past Tuesday. She also went to her first baby shower on Wednesday night for her friend Natalie Erling who is about 1 month older. We also had a very lovely first Mothers Day; we had dinner at Clarks (best restaurant in Cold Lake), and Ainsley gave me a card with a Willow Tree collectible sculpture of a couple holding their new baby - and Daddy made me breakfast : P



Yesterday we visited Cold Lake Provincial Park for the first time and went for a little walk ... Fletch got to swim in the still somewhat icy water - I guess there's a reason they call it 'Cold Lake' ... but it was 25 degrees out so soon enough the ice should be gone!



As for me, my recovery is going really well .. I am feeling pretty good and have little to no pain most days. I am completely off my medication so any pain I do have I feel! I am still a little slow and I can't walk for too long, but its getting easier every day. I have to say that if it wasn't for Peter I don't think things would be going as well as they are! He is the best partner anyone could ask for and his attitude towards everything reminds me again why we call ourselves 'Team PM'.

Team PM & Ainsley

No comments: